Favorite Places

Favorite Places

Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

I love Jordan. A lot. And here is why..
 
1. The PEOPLE.
 
Part of our homework is talking to people in Arabic for 2 hours every day and this has been my favorite part of the program. I have made some really great friends and learned so much. It is the coolest feeling to have an actual conversation with someone in their native language and to connect as actual friends.




This is the Allozi family. I love being at their home and watching them interact with each other. Just a normal family. The brothers tease the sister. They watch funny YouTube videos. The sons play soccer with us. They dress up the American after dinner...

 

Fruit Stand Friends. These guys are from Yemen, here working and trying to support family back home. They are so generous and fun to be around and make some delicious beans.


 
Armen (the one in the middle). We were mission companions in New York and I LOVE hanging out with her and her friends here in Amman.
 
 
 
Teachers at Qasid Institute - the BEST. We have class 2 hours every day. My teacher is Batoul (on the left) and she is such a great teacher. We focus on different topics each day like global warming or the Arab/Israel conflict or the definition of beauty. Then after class we have speaking appointments where we just talk to our partners about anything (on the right is my partner Hiba). I really love the teachers and learning about their personal lives, challenges, and opinions.
 
 
2. The FOOD.
 
Guys. It is SO good. I eat out probably every day. It is really cheap and so delicious.


Fruit Salad. Basically lots of fruit, ice cream, chocolate, nuts, and honey. It has become our Thursday after school tradition and it never disappoints.



Mansaf. A traditional Arab meal of rice, lamb, pine nuts, thin bread, and this milky sauce stuff. Whenever I'm invited to dinner at peoples' houses, they usually make mansaf. The men usually eat it with their hands, and it is SO good.
 
I have eaten so much here. Unfortunately, I rarely take pictures of it. Also, although pita and hummus is so good and so cheap here, I am super sick of it.  
 
 
3. The CITY.
 
There is a beauty in Jordan's lack of beauty that I really love.

 
All the buildings are the same color and there is very little green. But, it is really pretty.
 
 
 
4. Playing SOCCER.
 
I have played soccer at least once a week the entire time I've been here. Lots of the BYU students play and everyone invites their Arab friends.


 
5. Opportunities to VOLUNTEER.
 
Every week I go to the Al-Husayn Orphanage and teach a hip hop class. It is SO fun and the kids love it. They are not shy at all and we basically just have a big dance party.

 
One week Jay brought his slack line and the kids loved it so much.
 
 
 
Yeah. I should probably stop there.
 
There are things that are really hard about living in Jordan, that will have to be the topic of another post... But I really really love living here - making friends and eating lots and studying Arabic. It's been a dream. And time is going by way too fast. I only have another month here, DAHH.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how much the people love YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who all goes with you to teach the hip hop class? Who comes up with the choreography?

    ReplyDelete